Ironically, I’ve only managed to finish 17 books this year (I’m discounting all books related to my MA which I’ve read this year), and this is how I would place them in terms of favourite. Most of these weren’t published this year, but I hope you enjoy it either way!
17) Red Phoenix by Larry Bond
16) Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman
15) I Am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll
14) The Christmas Forest by Rebecca Boxall
13) That’s Not What Happened by Kody Keplinger
12) And The Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness
11) Whistle in the Dark by Emma Healey
10) The Shining by Stephen King
9) Born Lippy: How To Do Female by Jo Brand
8) The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
7) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
6) Release by Patrick Ness
5) The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
4) 1984 by George Orwell
3) House Of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
2) Becoming by Michelle Obama
1) The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
This was potentially the hardest list I’ve done this year, it was so hard to choose and I moved a few of them around a lot! It was especially difficult between 2 and 1, but The Travelling Cat Chronicles was an amazing novel, and it really touched me and a book I still think about today. Becoming is an equally amazing memoir, and I love Michelle Obama. The choice was so hard!
What’s your favourite books that you’ve read this year? Let me know in the comments!